Apr 14, 2006

Threes

I just got back from the emergency animal hospital. My newest and oldest cat, Roger died about an hour ago.
For those of you keeping count...That's 3....yes 3 cats I have lost in the span of one year. What's that they say about 3?
I was about to go to bed about 1 am and was just putting food in the cat's bowls. Roger is usually waiting for the food and wasn't as usual. Thinking maybe he got locked up somewhere or escaped out the door, I checked the closets, under beds, the dryer, the cabinets and outside.
After about an hour of searching I found him lying next to my bathtub in the corner, laying "funny" and in respiratory distress. I scooped him up and ran next door to Cathy's (My vet tech best friend) She said his color was bad (How can they tell with all that fur?!) and I should take him to the critter ER.
The diagnosis......Congestive heart failure with an associated pleural effusion.
He was about 12 years old.....My Great Grandmother-in-law's cat that I took in last August. I couldn't see spending thousands on what the Vet said would probably be a futile fight. So I said yes to putting him down and he will be laid to rest next to Tristan and Edie this weekend at my mom's. Which, by the way, I have to leave for her house in 5 hours.....I've had no sleep.
I have one Cat left, 4 Year old Easter. Who's going on a weight management diet as soon as we are out of our current brand. I'll be damned if I'll let her die anytime soon. All this as we go take a trip to see my stepdad for the last time.

6 Comments:

At 05:16, Blogger Nessa said...

I'm so sorry. I lost my cat not too long ago. It all sucks.

 
At 21:14, Blogger Nurse2B said...

That stinks. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. All the best.

 
At 03:54, Blogger Kim said...

This is so sad.

I lost my 18 year old "Tasha" about eight months ago and I still miss her.

You would think with seven cats left that the "hole" wouldn't be there, but it is. She needed special care and hung in there for so long that I didn't know what to do with myself for awhile after.

You have my deepest sympathy....

 
At 10:30, Blogger MomThatsNuts said...

oh hun! Im so sorry...for everything, the cat, the stepdad,, the stress the crap,.,Im sorry your having a hard time right now...big cyber hugs and prayers out your way today!

mom

 
At 21:44, Blogger overactive-imagination said...

I'm so sorry Jodi. So much sorrow for you all at once. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Dawn

 
At 11:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three cats!? That must be so incredibly tough for you!

Sorry for your loss :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home