Apr 4, 2006

Tagless MeMe...Where was I?

I wasn't tagged. But I have to prove to Dr. Flea that he didn't alienate me by answering another "meme".
Well, that, and I really like these things. :)

Where was I one year ago?
I was finishing my 2nd semester of Nursing school (Level 2). I was finally feeling more Nurse-y with the greater responsibilities I was given. Planning my daughter's 4th birthday party, swearing I was going to lose weight and quit smoking over the summer during my Psych rotation. I was also thinking that this time, this month (Now) could not possibly come any sooner.

Where was I 5 years ago?
Was just about to give birth to my first child, my daughter Ari. I was just about to start maternity leave at the hospital and attending my baby showers and finishing up the final touches on the Moon and Star themed nursery. Mike was still alive and in remission having just completed radiation therapy. All residual side effects had faded and he was feeling pretty good. The plan was for me to have baby, stay home with hubby and baby until June and then go back to work part-time. That worked until Mike got really sick again in August.

Where was I 10 years ago?
Still in Newlywed status, Mike and I were just growing accustomed to living in the armpit of the US; Shreveport, LA. The smelliest,rudest, most crime infested city I've ever lived in. Mike was in the Air Force doing his police thing. I had just begun working at a discount drycleaners, where I would stay for 2 years. I worked about 55 hours a week there for minimum wage and managed the store by myself for a year of that. I dealt with it because it was an easy job....take in clothes, tag them, bag them,wait for boss/owner to pick them up, give clean clothes back, count register, deal with complaints. It was a job.(and it was me and Mike against the whole world....sigh)

Listening to: "With Imagination" by Harry Connick Jr (on Blue light, red light)

6 Comments:

At 11:50, Blogger Jaxia said...

It's amazing to look back at the changes we go through. Sometimes, I think memes aren't so bad.

~Jaxia

 
At 19:39, Blogger The new Third Degree Nurse said...

I agree with Jaxia. I used to have the motto "Don't Look Back" because it was too painful to see how life didn't turn out the way I'd wanted it to, but you know. It's OK. It's just OK. Some days, it's MORE THAN OK.

And cut that smoking out, Missy. We're doing lung and larygeal cancer in Med Surg and it ain't pretty. Besides, I don't want to have you be one of my patients, just my friend.

 
At 00:19, Blogger Andrew said...

You know, I've been watching a lot of Dog Whisperer lately (seriously), and if you watch enough of DW like I do, you start to see a running theme by Cesar Millan (the Dog Whisperer, natch): The past is the past, and it can't hurt you anymore. Most people are too consumed with the past or too preoccupied (worried) about the future. Stay in the present.

It's all very Jedi, but I alternate. Sometimes, I'm grateful for my past and what it taught me. And sometimes, I'm the biggest proponent of "Move on, move on."

And sometimes, The Dog Whisperer is just The Dog Whisperer, and it's funny as hell to watch him wrestle a misbehaving Yorkshire Terrier to the ground.

 
At 02:03, Blogger Jo said...

Jaxia,
You're right. Looking back only shows me how far I've come...and overcome.

TD Nurse,
Hey Friend! I'm OK too. I'm working on the smoking....still. I've quit and unquit and quit again these past several years. My new mission....I'm quitting on Ari's 5th birthday and I'll use the patch again. (Which has worked in the past, I just can't get the damn things to stay on) I'll need some duct tape. I figure the meaning of quitting officially on Ari's bday may help.

Andy,
Is that guy for real? I can see how that could be funny.
I am grateful and a little regretful about the past, but hey...that's life, ain't it? But like I told Jaxia up there....I can appreciate how far I've come. ;)

 
At 14:55, Blogger Nessa said...

I'd have to really think hard to figure out where I was a those specific time periods, and that might hurt my brain power.

The dog Whisperer is great.

 
At 16:48, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

You're down to weeks now...wow...it's encouraging to me to know that when I began reading you graduation was for you about as far away as it is for ME now!

Hh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home