May 31, 2006

Still here



I'm Still here. I'm just really busy as I pushed my move in date up to the 9th not so conveniently two days after I take the NCLEX (The 7th). Pressures from the landlords. That and I really like the idea of being completely moved in before I start working. My first day of orientation is on the 12th. I imagine it will be around then you'll be hearing more from me again. I will post an entry on the 9th or 10th and tell you my exam results.
Please check back......I won't be gone long.

As for my stepdad....It's truly weird he has lived this long. I thought for sure he'd pass away over Easter. Last week he showed signs of going soon. He was becoming unresponsive, incontinent, cold hands and feet. I spent 4 days up there last week helping my mom give him meds through the G tube, changing his sheets, pads, and dressings. He's developed 2 fistulas out the side of his neck where the tumor is deep underneath. It's draining fluids of all consistencies and colors and the smell would rival most dumpsters. Mom was actually having a hard time keeping those little fruit gnats away from it.
I noted his vital signs slowing over the 4 days and he went from somewhat responsive to completely unresponsive, GCS 4, BP 70s over 50s, RR 6 with apnea,Pulse tachy to 70s. He was like that the last 3 days I was there.
It's awful, slow, painful dying.
Tonight Mom called and his eyelids popped open and stayed that way....Mom tried to close them but they just pop open again, his eyes fixed straight ahead. The Hospice Nurse told her his BP today was 50 something over 20 something.
Maybe tonight? I don't know, I've said it before so I'm not gonna assume it this time.
He's always been a very stubborn guy.


Listening to: Meltdown by Live

*************
*Update* He passed away at 2:00 am, Just after I wrote this entry.
13:04 May 31,2006

4 Comments:

At 23:59, Blogger Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

Oh, Jo. I'm so sorry. For you, for him, for your mom, for all of you.

You must have brought your mother so much comfort these last few months, with your calming presence and your professional aptitude.

Take care, and best of luck next week.

 
At 08:33, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Just what you needed around this already stressful time...your poor Mom!

I'm sorry for your loss and the struggle of this time for you.

Hang in there...best wishes on the NCLEX.
Hh

 
At 23:42, Blogger WI Catholic said...

I am so sorry to hear this, yet know that it is better for him. May he rest in peace! I hope that your Mom is ok.

God bless!

Will pray for that test, but have no doubt that you will pass. Best wishes on the move!

 
At 20:15, Blogger furyouhin said...

i'm sorry about your stepfather.

good luck on the test ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home