Jan 31, 2006

"Sim Man"


We had an excrutiating long 90 minute lecture on blood transfusions today. It was OK to bear however because the other 90 minutes (3 hours instead of 4 this semester, Yay!) we got to run a real time simulation on "Sim Man" ,the simulation dummy. It was fun. Our instructor picked 4 people to run two simulations. I got to do one. The 4 people acted as the one Nurse. One to do the charting, one to lead, one to do meds, one to draw blood/put in the IV. I did the IV. It was an emergency scenario, Patient coding. I go to start the IV with an older cath. I thought I had it the first time but I didn't see the flash of blood (red food coloring in water). They kept asking for IV access and for some reason...no flash. I finally think screw it and leave the cath in and withdraw the needle. Sure enough I get return but it's just water. The group before us pushed a bunch of "medicine" (water) into the "veins". UG! My instructor mentioned like 3 times during the review that we needed a line in him. I had the line in and didn't see red! So unfair!

4 Comments:

At 17:52, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

We're working on SIM man on the 27th of Feb! (Got moved from the 13th because our instructor was called for jury duty!)

Hh

 
At 01:06, Blogger Andrew said...

Sim Man ought to be more like the emergency room patients I see on ER: screaming at the top of his lungs, bleeding all over the place, and then sharing his personal romantic problems with Abby. It'd liven up those classes, don't you think?

 
At 16:09, Blogger Kim said...

In very rare occasions I have actually been in a vein but without the backflash. This is usually with tiny gauges. If I think I'm in and there is no swelling, I will try to flush the line with a bit of saline. I'll be darned if every now and then it's in!

Sim Man sounds like something you'd make in a computer game.

 
At 10:03, Blogger Mutant Moments said...

Hi,

I work for a small museum exhibit firm called Bluestone + Associates, and we'd like to use the photo that you've posted for this blog entry to help tell the story of nursing for an educational exhibit. Please let us know how/if we can acquire a higher resolution version of this image. I can be reached at my email, arlo @ bluestoneinc.com

Thanks very much,

Arlo C
Writer/Researcher
Bluestone + Associates
bluestoneinc.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home