Jun 28, 2005

Bye Bye, Craziness!

I'm finally finished with my Psychiatric rotation. I made a 90 on my final. 2 more points and I would've made an A in the class. Bummer, huh?
I must say, I didn't really like the rotation, while doing it, but now that its' over I would have to say it was somewhat rewarding. I have a new understanding about those with mental illness, I've developed more empathy. I think the reason I had such a hard time with it was because I saw so much mental anguish, that I took some home with me. I felt so helpless. We weren't/ aren't doing enough for the mentally ill. In state hospitals they are strictly stabilized with medication and sent on their way. "Treat 'em and Street 'em" so they say. I hate that. Meanwhile they wander the dayrooms and wait until their overworked doctor can prescribe just the right combination of meds that can one day magically make them say they won't hurt anyone or themselves anymore. There's little follow up, most of their families gave up on them long before, no real therapy while their in. Actually I think the only one-on-one therapy they ever have is when the nursing students come in, forced to interview them. Lord knows the staff can't or don't.
So I think unless I want to become a nurse lobbyist for mental patient's rights, (No lobby bones in me) I think I'll stick to the med/surg stuff. At least in hospitals where they are physiologically ill I can feel like I'm actually doing something about it, and seeing the progress.
Back to paid work next week!

BTW, I quit smoking almost 4 weeks ago. I'm not going to lie and say I haven't relapsed, I have (for about 3 days since) but I got back up on the horse again. I'm doing pretty good. Nicorrette just released a better tasting gum, Fresh Mint. Tastes like real gum. That worked for me. Actually, I switched to regular chewing gum after a week, and couldn't feel the difference. So I'm addicted to chewing gum now, my dentist won't be happy, but my doctor will. Well, it's sugar-free Extra anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home