Jun 4, 2005

Good times at the Mental Institution

I have finished 2 clinical days at the mental institution and all I can say is WOW. I expected it to be a bizarre experience but I didn't think these patients would be as extreme as they are. I met people who were actively seeing bats in the room, one who believes he is an actual prophet of Jesus and that the son of God speaks to him daily. There were fist fights and people stripping off their clothes in the middle of the day room. When we told the charge nurse that our instructor wanted us to go out into the day room and talk to the patients, he reluctantly agreed and warned us to stay very close to the mental health workers.
My instructor's really nice, but sort of a hippie. He makes us do stretching and "mind-clearing" exercises in class and after clinicals. The hospital grounds are really beautiful, with scenic landscapes and old buildings. I would really love to stay the night in one, and see if I meet any ghosts. The original building is the admin. building now and it was built in 1857. The history in that place must be really interesting. They moved the patients into a less restrictive environment, a few decades ago. The unit buildings create a big square which all open on the inside, there's a big courtyard where the patients can play volleyball, basketball, or just sit on a bench. It's very nice. All the units usually mix together for "patio" time, so they really get a lot of freedom and socialization. The only unit with more restrictions is the forensic unit, where the criminals are on a psychiatric hold. Fortunately, I do not work that unit.
Had my 1st test yesterday over Schizophrenia, Brain physiology, and therapy techniques. I made a 98!!!! Just because I'm doing well though, won't make me a pychiatric nurse. I'm really not enjoying it and this is not my forte. I'm definitely more comfortable giving meds and starting IVs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home